Wildlife Caretaker Needed
Sandy Pines Wildlife Centre has been in operation for over 25 years. The Mandate of the facility is to help all injured and orphaned wildlife (including mammals, birds, and some reptiles/amphibians) and release them back into the wild. We also give advice and assistance to property owners who are having problems with their wild animal neighbours and can offer humane alternatives to solve these conflicts. We admit over 5000 patients a year. In order to keep up with our growth we are looking to hire several full-time seasonal employees. Our busy season starts in April and ends in November.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- General cleaning duties, cage cleaning, set-up, and repair.
- Caring for all the species admitted to SPWC throughout the season, feeding orphans, caring for juveniles, and injured adult animals.
- Capture and restraint of wild patients.
- Preparing a variety of diets for all native Ontario wildlife species at different life stages
- Calculating dosages and administering oral and injectable medications.
- Working alongside volunteers (interns, placement students, as well as weekly volunteers)
- Answering to, and facilitating the work of the Director and all senior staff.
- Admission of new patients, physical exams and initial patient set-up.
- Record keeping- updating patient charts.
- Capable of working 44hrs/week, day or evening shifts, weekends as well as holidays.
- Current Rabies and Tetanus vaccinations
- Ability to perform hard labour, be flexible enough to get in and out of a variety of animal enclosures and lift 50lbs
- Ability to work in all weather conditions
- Experience in animal husbandry
- Endurance, enthusiasm, resourcefulness
- Must be willing to work with all wildlife species
- Previous study/experience: Veterinary Assistant, Veterinary Technician, Wildlife Care
- Team worker, but able to work independently
- knowledge of avian and reptile anatomy and physiology
- Willing to learn mammalian and avian husbandry and all aspects of wildlife rehabilitation from admission to release.
How To Apply: E-mail resume and 2 references to Leah Birmingham, RVT Medical Director SPWC email@example.com